Maleny Community Precinct
At its Ordinary Meeting on 10 June 2010, council endorsed the Maleny Community Precinct Final Master Plan[PDF 1.9MB].
The Maleny Community Precinct Master Plan is a culmination of many years of community and council collaboration to provide community-use facilities on former agricultural land.
As part of the community engagement process, council established the Maleny Community Precinct Advisory Committee, which held its first meeting in February 2011.
Where to from here
Council has committed $1 million a year for the next four years to develop the first stage of the precinct [PDF 676 KB].
The first stage comprises:
- the development of the Pattemore to Gardners Falls and Maleny township interpretive trail [JPG 1.6MB]
- the conservation and renovation of the heritage listed Pattemore House
- the creation of a nine hole golf course
- building a car park and amenity facilities behind Pattemore House
- planting and environmental conservation works.
Council is working with Barung Landcare, Maleny District Sport & Recreation Club Inc., and Maleny Golf Club to finalise lease arrangements.
Council is also developing memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with Friends of Pattemore House and Maleny District Green Hills Fund on ways these organisations can work with council to develop the site.
Maleny Community Precinct Advisory Committee
The purpose of the advisory committee is to:
- ensure integration and collaboration of site activities
- facilitate communication between all parties
- provide a forum to settle neighbourhood disputes
- provide advice to council on the progress of development of the precinct
- provide advice on lease boundaries and location of trails.
The advisory committee comprises representatives from the seven stakeholder groups on the precinct and two independent representatives. The independent representatives are Graham Hart (Chair) and Carolyn Williams. The stakeholders represented on the advisory committee comprise:
At its Ordinary Meeting on 10 June 2010, council endorsed the Maleny Community Precinct Final Master Plan [PDF 1.9MB].
Council's vision is for the precinct to become a place for the whole community to enjoy with a wide range of recreational, sporting, cultural, educational and ecological experiences.
While developing community facilities on the precinct, council will preserve and rehabilitate environmental and historical areas, which are of regional and state significance.
The master plan will guide the staged development of the precinct. Council anticipates implementation of the master plan will take up to 25 years and will involve working in partnership with community groups.
The master plan:
- recognises the site, its character and relationship with the surrounding landscape and nearby townscape
- considers the importance of creating a ‘sense of place’ that stimulates social activity
- creates a legible precinct character, providing good connectivity from surrounding areas of human habitation
- embraces the importance of ecology and balances environmental protection areas with community activities and benefit.
The aim of the plan is to:
- protect and enhance significant vegetation and ecosystems
- preserve and enhance the quality of stormwater and natural waterways
- improve habitat corridors
- create habitat cores—larger pockets of environmental protections areas that will increase regional biodiversity.
The facilities approved as part of the Maleny Community Precinct Master Plan include:
- the conservation of the heritage listed Pattemore House
- an 18-hole community golf course with a putting practice area and future shared club house / function centre
- three to four full size sports fields and a multi-purpose sports amenity building
- the protection of significant environmental areas such as the Southern Wetland and Obi Obi Creek corridor
- a widespread network of pedestrian and cycle trails, in particular a link from the township to Gardener’s Falls
- provision for a horse trail from North Maleny Road to Obi Obi Creek to link with future Obi Obi Creek bridge crossing
- an aquatic centre with 25-metre, hydrotherapy, learn to swim and toddler pools, a 250sqm gym and other amenities
- community facility land
- a large ecological style parkland (notionally called Obi Obi Park) incorporating rehabilitated wetlands, viewing areas, sculpture trail, children’s play area, picnic facilities and walking trails
- three residential areas incorporating approximately 4 x 1900sqm lots, 39 x 600– 800sqm lots and 6 x 525sqm lots—providing a range of products, including some affordable living options in the form of the smaller size lots
- an attractive tree-lined boulevard style road access from Porters Lane, with future link to Landsborough-Maleny Road.
The council-owned Maleny Community Precinct comprises 126 hectares of dairy pasture located within one kilometre of the Maleny township. The precinct is bordered to the south by Obi Obi Creek and extends west towards Baroon Pocket Dam.
The northern part of the site forms an exposed ridge, and at approximately 455 metres above sea level is one of the highest points in the town area.
In August 2008 council resolved to start the master planning process for Maleny Precinct using an approved concept plan and development intent statement from the former Caloundra Council, as the basis for further planning.
For more information, please contact the Maleny Community Precinct Project Director via council's customer service centre.